Understanding the Davis-Bacon Act and
Prevailing Wage Law on Government Contracts
Van Allyn Goodwin, Littler Mendelson P.C.
Alleged violations of wage and hour laws have become a major source for the new wave of employment class actions, which often result in hundreds of thousands of dollars, and in many cases millions of dollars, of recoverable damages and attorneys’ fees awarded to the successful litigants and their attorneys – in addition to the substantial amount of legal fees and administrative costs incurred by employers in defending these actions. The U.S. Department of Labor has also become increasingly vigilant in their investigation and enforcement of federal wage and hour laws.
This 90-minute presentation provides you with the information you need to understand the specific requirements of the Davis-Bacon Act, when it applies, and the process necessary to ensure compliance and avoid enforcement actions and potential penalties. Failure to comply with the Davis-Bacon Act can have dire consequences, including debarment and the loss of a major source of business, in addition to the exposure to substantial damages and attorneys’ fees. This webinar will enable you to ensure you are satisfying the Davis-Bacon Act when competing for and performing federal public works and construction contracts.
View this information-packed, 90-minute recorded webinar to:
- Define the contract provisions that implicate the Davis-Bacon Act
- Understand and apply the key aspects of the Davis-Bacon Act
- Determine the prevailing wage rates and how to satisfy them
- Become familiar with coverage aspects, including site of the work, work classifications, benefits, tradesmen, truck drivers, apprentices, helpers and trainees
- Learn key differences between Davis-Bacon and state prevailing wage laws
- Identify recently enacted legislation and executive orders that impose prevailing wage and employment law requirements on federal contractors
- Recognize the potential consequences of noncompliance with the Davis-Bacon Act
- And much, much more!
Who Will Benefit?
Federal public works contractors, who want to understand the requirements for complying with the Davis-Bacon Act when bidding on and performing federal public works contracts and the consequences of noncompliance.
This event features key insights from our knowledgeable construction expert:
With expertise that covers the full range of employment and labor law, Van Goodwin routinely defends employers in complex employment litigation in both state and federal courts, as well as in agency proceedings before the U. S. Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board and various California agencies responsible for the enforcement of California employment and labor relations laws.
He has extensive experience representing clients in matters involving employment discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour (including prevailing wage laws), leaves of absence, and personnel / human resources issues.